Class of 2019 Graduation

May 16, 2019

April Moore-Jones, adviser

On Thursday, May 16 seventy-one seniors crossed the small stage in Northwood’s “New Gym”, accepting their high school diploma. It was a night of laughter and tears as these students said their final good byes to Northwood High School.

That night, the top ten percent of  the Class of 2019 spoke to their classmates and families. Valedictorian, Spencer Carter led the speeches, followed by Co-Salutatorians: Olivia Gates and Caitlyn Myers. These speeches were then followed by the remaining top ten percent: Caitlin Bordwine,  Hannah Davidson, Lathem Foran, Kady Harris and Kiersten Harris.

In between the speeches, the chorus sang and the band played.

At the end of the speeches, guidance counselor, Kim Ratliff handed out the awards. This was followed by the presentation of the Senior Slideshow, created by senior Silver Snodgrass.

The night concluded with principal Jerad Ward, speaking to the graduates and celebrating with them on their accomplishments while here at NHS.  The accomplishments noted were:

• 27 of 71 graduated received scholarships totaling $257,300
  • 45 students have a GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • 13 plan to attend a four-year college
  • 44 plan to attend a community college
  • 22 earned 862 college credits in high school
  • six students are entering the workforce.

Principal Ward went on to wish the seniors well and urged them to be Panther proud, but above all, to remain humble and kind. It was at this point he asked the seniors to move their tassles from the right side of their caps to the left, while congratulating them as the Class of 2019 graduates of Northwood High School.